Jeffersontown United Methodist Church
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Christ Centered, Spirit Led, People Focused
Search this site.View the site map.

 

Contact Info
10219 Taylorsville Rd.
Louisville, KY  40299

Church Office
502-267-1437

 

Church Fax
502-822-1618

Child Development
 Center

502-261-2867

Prayer Chain
502-245-2203

 


*E-mail Us*

*MAP*

Our newsletters; The CIRCUIT RIDER and The BLAZE

History

What follows are some interesting historical facts from the life of

Jeffersontown United Methodist Church

  

          Dedicated 1865          Dedicated 1959          Dedicated 2003

 Click on the image above to jump to that timeframe in our history

  • The Jefferson Circuit was first mentioned in Church history in 1811. The Church at Jeffersontown was part of this circuit. Jeffersontown United Methodist Church, therefore, is one of the oldest Methodist churches in Kentucky.
  • The first pastor assigned here was Charles Bondwell in 1811. 
  • In 1811, our nation's fourth president, James Madison, was serving the third year in his first of two terms. 
  • Bishop Asbury wrote in his memoirs that he preached in Jeffersontown (known as Brunnerstown at the time) on October 20, 1812.
  • In 1816, a log cabin building was constructed and given the name Union Church (pictured above).  A contract signed on August 26, 1819, gave use of the structure 'on the first Thursday of the month and six days thereafter to the German and English Presbyterians, on the second Thursday to the German and English Lutherans, on the third Thursday... to the Methodists, and on the fourth Thursday... to the Baptists.  This building stood where the First Baptist Church now stands on the corner of Old Taylorsville Road and Watterson Trail.
  • As time passed, the people became dissatisfied with the arrangement of a Union Church, and land was therefore acquired on April 9, 1860, from Steven Powell.  The cost of the land, located at Taylorsville Road and Jefferson, was $200.  Today, the education building of the church stands on this location.  Our first sanctuary building was dedicated on this site in September, 1865 (picture below).
 
  • In 1888, Mr. Frank Dravo presented to the church a bell cast by Kaye and Company of Louisville.  This bell hung in the church belfry and for many years called the community to church and the volunteers to fight fires in the town.  On September 24, 11972, a memorial bell tower was dedicated, made from the 1988 bell, along with the come of the bricks form the original sanctuary building.  This bell tower stands today facing Taylorsville Road, between the sanctuary and the education buildings.
  • Our Sunday School records go back to 1886.
  • In the 1920's, art glass windows were placed in the in our sanctuary at a total cost of $800.  When that sanctuary was demolished in the 1960's, some of the windows were used in the Memorial Chapel in the education building we use today. 
  • In the 1930's or 1940's, two large pot-bellied stoves in the sanctuary were replaced with a coal furnace.  This caused much trouble, due to a draining problem.  The water would get into the furnace area and put it out, forcing services to be canceled.   
  • In the fall of 1948, a new parsonage was purchased, at a cost of $12,000.  It was located at 3503 Maple Road.  
  • The church had never had a bulletin until Rev. W. F. Huddleston was pastor (1942-1948), as he brought with him the equipment to print them.  When he left, his successor Rev. K. A. Loy stated that he would like to continue to have one, and the trustees recommended that the church secure a mimeograph machine for that purpose.  
  • For several years the Jeffersontown youth had been part of a community Christian Endeavor group, since the youth group at Jeffersontown was small and there was no one in the church to assume the leadership of a group.  By the late 1940s it was decided that the congregation had the leadership and the youth to form a Methodist Youth Fellowship.  From this small beginning, the congregation has continued a strong emphasis on youth work through today.  We currently have a paid youth director and a strong and active United Methodist Youth Fellowship (UMYF). 
  • In September 1950 Mr. C. A. Hummell retired as Sunday School Superintendent after having held the position fro 25 years.  A chicken dinner in honor of the "faithful teachers and staff" was provided by Mr. Hummell and served by the Women's Society of Christian Service (WSCS).   
  • In July 1953 natural gas came to Jeffersontown and the board voted to run the gas to the church and the parsonage.
  • While Rev. I. H. Owen was only pastor for a short time, he was, at the church long enough to be involved in the organization of our  Methodist Men's group on May 24, 1956.  This group formed a dart ball team which was part of a church league.  From 1962 through 1966, they won the first place trophy 5 years in a row.
  • Following Rev. Owen, the ministry of the two longest tenured ministers in our church history began.  Rev. Richard Ramsey served the 9 years from 1956 until 1965, followed by Dr. Roy E. Webster, who served until September, 1974.  Dr. Webster's was the longest by a few months.
  • On September 2, 1852, the church purchased a lot from George W. Leatherman, to be used for a parsonage.  That lot was located at Watterson Trail and Grape Alley, and the house built at this location was used as a parsonage until 1948.
  • On April 5, 1959, ground was broken on our second sanctuary.  All summer, the members watched eagerly as the building grew.  By the first week of October everyone was busy painting and cleaning the new facilities in preparation for opening day October 11, 1959.  At both services the church was full, with the afternoon service overflowing onto the front lawn.  The membership at that time was 299, with an enrollment of 266 in Sunday School.
  • Following the opening of the 2nd sanctuary, the original sanctuary was converted into a gymnasium for the youth.  The facility was used for skating and basketball on alternating Sunday's.
  • On October 8, 1967, ground was broken for a three story education building, to be constructed for a cost of $128,000, on the site of the first sanctuary.  Some of the bricks from the old church building were used to construct one of the walls in a memorial chapel which also used the old stained glass windows.  On March 10, 1968, the cornerstone was laid in the new building. 
  • Many repairs to the 2nd parsonage had been required over the years.  In April 1968 a new parsonage on Auburn Avenue, in a just-opened subdivision, was purchased.  
  • In 1972, the Women's Society of Christian Service and the Wesleyan Service Guild united to become the United Methodist Women.
  • The Men's Prayer Breakfast was formed during the pastorate of Sam Clark in the early 1980's, and continues to this day.
  • The project to install a church elevator, and expand the first and second floor foyers to accommodate it, was complete and consecrated on November 1, 1987.
  • The sanctuary we meet in today was dedicated in the Spring of 2003.

 

The above facts are excerpts from

"Serving Christ for Over 180 years: A History of Jeffersontown United Methodist Church"  

by Mary Ellen Smith

 

 
 
The Pastors of Jeffersontown
United Methodist Church
 
1811 Charles Bondwell
1812
Elijah McDaniel
P. Morris
1813
Matthew Nelson
John Dow
1814 Thomas D. Parker
1815
William Adams
Sadosa Bain
1816
William Adams
Andrew Monroe
1817 William Allison
1818 William Hart
1819 James Leach
1820
William Adams
James G. Lee
1821
David D. Lycho
Laban Hughes
1822
George Locke
Isaac Collard
1823
Simon Peter
William Atherton
1825
Richard D. Neale
John Fisk
1826
Richard D. Neale
John Denham
Nehemiah Cravens
1827
J. S. Barger
M. Clampot
1828
John James
B. H. McCimon
1829
John James
Thomas Rice
1830
James Ward
Abraham Long
1831
Isaac Collard
Thomas Waring
1832
Isaac Collard
J. W. Schultz
1833
C. M. Holiday
Hooper Evans
1834
Francis Landrum
Robert Y. McReynolds
1835
A.D. Fox
T. S. Davis
1836
Absalom D. Fox
John Novius
1837
Richard Deering
W. B. Kavanaugh
1838
Clinton Kelly
Lorenzo Harland
1839
Clinton Kelly
Moses Levi
1840
Joseph B. Barnett
James S. Wools
1841
Thomas B. Barnett
Charles B. Pearson
1842
Charles B. Pearson
Andrew J. McLaughlin
1843 John Miller
1844 John Bowden
1845 George Crumbaugh
1847 Peter Duncan
1848 Morris Evans
1849 James Weels
1850 W. W. Mann
1851 John W. Cunningham
1852 W. Randolph
1853 Thomas J. Moore
1854 Silas Lee
1855 Samuel D. Adkins
1856 Gideon Goosh
1858 M. N. Lasley
1860 Artomas Brown
1862 Richard Dearing
1864 Jacob Goodson
1866   George W. Brush
1868 Jacob P. Goodson
1869 J. Ditzler
1870 Jacob P. Goodson
1871 S. L. Murrell
1873 J. S. McDaniel
1875 C. Y. Boggess
1877 Silas Newton
1880 B. F. Biggs
1881 Leonard Amos
1882 John S. McGee
1883 R. M. Hardaway
1885 W. L. Corbin
1887 G. S. King
1890 E. E. Pate
1891 E. M. Crowe
1893 J. S. Scobee
1895 A. L. Mell
1897 P. T. Hardison
1898 F. M. Petty
1899 S. C. Allen
1900 P. H. Davis
1901 G. W. Lyon
1905 S. P. Stiles
1906 L. K. May
1909 H. S. Gillette
1910 B. A. Brandon
1911 W. P. Gordon
1912 Virgil Elkin
1913 J. T. Cherry
1914 R. M. Wheat
1917 C. K. Dickey
1919 F. M. Petty
1921 W. I. Munday
1923 W. H. Hickerson
1924 B. F. Atkinson
1926 C. E. Carter
1930 T. T. Frazier
1936 G. P. Robertson
1938 M. L. Dyer
1940 J. L. Piercy
1942 W. F. Huddleston
1948 K. A. Loy
1951 W. E. Morris
1956
I. H. Owen
Richard Ramsey
1965 Roy E. Webster
1974 W. E. Strickland
1975 R. C. Rice
1981 S. R. Clark
1985 F. Bennett Hulse, Jr.
1989 Charles T. Rogers
1992 Todd B. Love
1997 Jay Smith
2002 Mark Shepherd
2010 Steven Neel
2016
Robert Howell